Monday, January 25, 2010

Progress: On clay and books


Drying clay has been a slow process, but I was able to quickly dry about a pound of what I'm now calling "Ellis County Brown" which is actually a secondary alluvial clay mix containing sand, silt, and clay. In the field, a quick placidity test showed that is was plastic and I was hoping it would be throwable.

I threw two cylinder, one about three inches tall and the other about 4 inches tall. I was able to raise the clay without a problem, but I neither wanted t to smooth the walls nor trim the bottom. Precious objects become just that at times and I was compelled to leave well enough alone. I stamped them and set them to dry. They are now in the kiln, being fired to cone 06, a temperature I'll adjust if needed.

Of course everything may blow up as well...

I have about 15 pounds drying and is still too soupy to consider doing anything with other being used as a colorant for my Epitaph Books, which is something I will use on the one I'll complete this week.

E. Book:

I have started my first book and I find myself continuing with the "Modified Egyptian Totum-motif" I started with when creating the first prototype. I'm starting to really like the form and as I progress I'll work on some which will not be destroyed. In my classes, I have enjoyed sharing this project with my students and I've enjoyed the leaps in logic they have come up with: That a book can be a book no matter its form or function, and that they will argue no matter what the reason.

Paper:

I am also writing a paper on the indigenous population and their use of clay and the art of it all. I will hit the library this weekend, but I do have a good lead: There is an archaeological society in Ellis County, Tx and I will be talking to them soon.

Random thoughts: I wanted to use local materials to decorate the clay I dig and I will make some Terra Sigillata with the clay and use it for decoration. I find it neat that these classes of my design parallel those of Ft. Hays State U.

No comments:

Post a Comment