Monday, January 18, 2010

Digging for Clay: Initial Time






1-18-2010

Pictures: The full backback, The shovel with a test on it, the unnamed South Prong Creek tributary (The clay was on the north bank,) the South Prong Creek, which is dammed further down to make Lake Waxahachie. South Prong is typical of the creeks in Texas with the high banked walls and shallow slow flow, and finally, a view of the bridge off of FM 1446 in Ellis County, Texas.


I knew it wouldn't be as planned, after all, what is? I envisioned taking a bucket and shovel down to one of the many creeks which dot Texas, find an area which the water has cut into the land deep, and start digging clay. The clay was next to be screened and washed and I would be on my way making pots with local clay.

So, reality sets in. Buckets are difficult to carry distances and clay is heavy. So, out with the bucket and in with the bag lined backpack. In with the "it's cold in a creek in Texas in January" and "where the heck is the "most abundant material on earth?" and "ahh, my waders do have a hole in them."

I did find a promising area on the South Prong Creek where an unnamed tributary runs into it. Texas has only one natural lake so every creek and river in the State has been dammed to create a lake and the South Prong is no exception: Further down-stream it forms into Lake Waxahachie.

So, I took a handful of the gumbo present and rolled it in my hand. After it dried out a bit I was able to make a loop with it, crush it, and recreate the loop. This was the clay test I've read about and this area passed the initial testing. So I started digging.

And the earth refused to give up gracefully. I fought roots and rocks, but I managed to get about 30 pounds or so in my bag lined backpack and hike out.

And now I've washed and screened the clay. I'll give details on that in blogs to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment